Monday, January 25, 2010

Recipe: Anzac biscuits


Abbey wanted to do some baking last week, so we made Anzac biscuits. Abbey only loves cooking if she can eat it along the way, and lick the bowl and cooking spoons (I love this too)


I love her concentration face, rolling the mixture!


And this is the "please can I eat one now" face.

And now the "please can I eat one more, I'll even smile for the camera" pose.

Most Australian's know the recipe, I am mainly posting this for our family in the UK, they might like to make them one day, they are very yummy. I always make a double batch, so I can share some with my mum and Grandma.

I can't say where this version of the recipe has come from, I have had it scribbled on a (now) grubby piece of paper for over 15 years. This grubby piece of paper is well traveled too, it came with me when I lived in the UK.

Anzac Biscuits:
1 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
1 cup plain flour (I use wholemeal)
1 cup sugar (I use brown sugar)
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
125g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon bicarb
1 tablespoon boiling water
  1. Combine rolled oats, flour, sugar and coconut in large bowl, mix well.
  2. Melt together butter and golden syrup.
  3. Add bicarb to boiling water, mix well, then add to butter and golden syrup mixture.
  4. Mix together, be careful it does not overflow, as the liquid puffs up in size.
  5. Add to the dry ingredients, and mix until well combined.
  6. Roll into balls, or use spoonfuls of mixture and cook on a non-stick baking tray or baking paper. Cook in a slow oven 150C for 12-18 minutes. 12 minutes for soft biscuits, 18 for crunchy ones.
I always use less coconut as I have a mild food intolerance to it, and I add in extra oats to make up the difference.

1 comment:

  1. Never had an Anzac biscuit - may have to get Tash to have a go at making some.

    Love the photos of Abbey so cute.

    ReplyDelete